Wednesday, October 26, 2011

1 month away!

Tomorrow will mark the timeline of 1 month away till the Seattle Marathon! EEEEEK! I'm excited but nervous all in one. This past Sunday I ran the longest I have ever run in my life...21 miles. I survived....taking lots of water, stretch, energy gel food and some walking breaks. I mainly got bored after 10 miles and couldn't believe I had another 10 more to go.  I need to look into getting books on tape or updating my playlist to help pass the time better.  Only one more big training run of 24 miles left this month to burn through in 2.5 weeks and then the marathon on Thanksgiving weekend, 11/27!
Before: 10:15 am- Feeling pumped, energized and ready to do this. Roxy comes along every weekend with me for my first mile to "warm up" and stretch. She's become quite a little speedy runner these days. Richard and I call it going for a drag, because she pulls you the whole run/walk!

After 21 miles, having stretched and showered- I didn't move from the couch from about 3pm-8pm my body was so sore and tired and it was a huge challenge to walk up the stairs. Richard was wonderful and ordered me my favorite Thai food. I also ate a cinnamon roll, ice cream and a jumbo sour patch kids candy bag. I was starving after the run! I calculated my calories and burned 2,700! Crazy! 

3 comments:

  1. it's uncomfortable, but after those long runs fill the bathtub with ice water - cold water & buckets of ice - and try to soak for 20 minutes. i can never last the 20 minutes but try to stay as long as you can and it will help with the soreness.

    i love the calories burned - it's what i miss most about marathon training - eating ANYTHING I WANT! :) after my marathon i got back to the hotel room, inhaled a plate of a pasta, ordered a hamburger because i was still starving, then i fell asleep for six hours. :)

    good luck and GREAT JOB! so proud! at 21 miles, you are offically ready for your marathon. :) the last 3 miles are the hardest but push through and you'r gonna kick ass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW dog! thats awesome! I didn't know you were training for the marathon! Nice work. Are you following a program? Or doing it yourself? GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lynda for all the helpful tips and advice!! :)

    Ya i'm following a training schedule Erica I found online and modifying it as I go. I'm doing it by myself :) So far I've been able to stick to it, but I think will be ready for a break from running after this month for sure!

    ReplyDelete